Indian Army Day 2020: India is celebrating 72nd Army Day on January 15, 2020. This day is celebrated every year on this day because Field Marshal KM Cariappa took command of the Indian Army from General Francis Butcher on the same day in 1949.
The Indian Army is the land-based branch and the largest component of the Indian Armed Forces. The President of India is the Supreme Commander of the Indian Army
About KM Cariappa
• KM Cariappa was born in 1899 in Kurg, Karnataka. Field Marshal Cariappa started a job in the British Indian Army at the age of 20.
• Cariappa led the Indian army along the western border in the Indo-Pak war of 1947.
• He was handled the responsibility of dividing the armies of the two countries during the time of Indo-Pak freedom.
• Cariappa retired from the army in 1953. Later, he worked as the High Commissioner of India in Australia and New Zealand till 1956.
• The government of India honored him with the rank of ‘Field Marshal’ in 1986.
• Field Marshal Cariappa passed away on May 15, 1993.
- Work A